Scaffold uses may be controlled, and must be intended for their respective purpose. Some of the most recurrent violations found by OSHA
and safety officers, are related to scaffolding.
- · The use of shore or lean-to scaffolds is prohibited.
- Occupied scaffolds must not be moved, unless the scaffold is designed for movement by a professional engineer or is a mobile scaffold.
- The scaffold should not be used in slippery conditions except to remove hazards and must be completed with other rigorous controls.
- Tag lines should be used to control loads being hoisted onto or near scaffolding.
- Boxes or barrels, may NOT be used to increase the working-level height.
- No ladders may be placed on the top of the scaffold deck, except under certain large-area scaffolds.
- Deflection of a platform should not exceed 1/60-inch.