Concrete curb construction using slipforms can provide several benefits and a better finished project. Concrete curb construction during the last century was made by hand and with a slow-finishing process. Nowadays, techniques have improved; slipform machines have become faster and more reliable and will produce a better-looking concrete curb.Concrete curbs are placed using a low-slump concrete which can harden in a relatively small amount of time, instead of longer periods when regular concrete is used. The concrete used for curbs can be placed directly into hoppers of the slipform equipment, and start placing it immediately.
Importance of Concrete Curbs
Concrete curbs are very important preventing a rapid decay of road surface. The importance of using concrete curbs is:
- Concrete curbs strengthen the pavement surface.
- It confines flexible pavement and improves sub-base compaction.
- Concrete curbs maintain the pavement edge's integrity.
- It reduces the space needed when ROW are being required.
- It eliminates drainage swales and flat side slopes.
- Minimizes drainage maintenance works.
- It reduces erosion and sediments going into storm sewer systems.
- Creates a visual border of the pavement, ideal for drivers at night.
- Concrete curb reduces the driveway length from the edge of the street.
- Straighter edges can be obtained when compared to regular forms.
- It is less dependent of the labor skill.
- Reduces steel or wood forms use and consumption.
- Will allow for a better sloped surface finishing.
- Reduces or eliminates the need for intermediate spacers or templates needed to achieve required slope.
- Water will flow better when compared to regular forms concrete curbs.
- Better production can be obtained.
- Less time consuming and more installation per day.
- Minimizes the uses of pre-cast sections.
- Reduces waste of concrete material since it is placed directly into the machine.
- Several radius measurements can be obtained.
- It minimizes settlement from individual curb placement.
- Slipform equipments are equipped with concrete vibrators helping with the consolidation and placement procedure.
- Some slipforms machines are equipped with automatic finishing equipment, to insert dowel bars at joints.
- Slipform comes in a variety of sizes.
- Slipform machines can work on areas where grade elevations are different.
- Newer machines have built-in GPS operation.
Concrete Curb Slipform BenefitsSlipform benefits are various, but the most significant ones are: